Sunday, May 3, 2015

Saturday at Springs Preserve

Once I knew I was going to be moving to Las Vegas, I started following various pages on Facebook and Twitter of places I could go and things I could do.  One of them was the Springs Preserve.  Their website describes the place as "the premier place in Las Vegas to explore the valley's vibrant history through interactive science and nature exhibits, botanical gardens, hiking, trails, and live animal shows."  Sounded like it was right up my alley.

I went out there last Saturday, but there was some kids event going on and the parking lot was full, and I couldn't get onto the property.  As I'm not familiar with that side of town, and have been told by several people that it's "not the best place to be walking around by yourself", I decided against parking at one of the shopping plazas and walking to the preserve.  The new plan...go back yesterday and be there first thing in the morning when they opened.  Why the rush you may ask?  Well, they had a chocolate exhibit going on that ends today and I wanted to see it. I sometimes think chocolate is my second love behind stitching, LOL!

So, yesterday morning I got up, met the group of stitching ladies I've recently had the pleasure of meeting for breakfast and then took off for the park.  I got there and paid my admission fee (I'm quickly learning that NV residents are usually 1/2 price, or at least receive a significant discount, compared to tourists, so always carry your ID if you're a resident!)

I found the layout of the park and their map rather confusing, so I just started wandering and figured I'd eventually find what I was looking for.  First stop...the chocolate exhibit!  I was the only one there and it was basically just an exhibit where you walked through and read about the history of chocolate and looked at some pretties.  Needless to say I was disappointed as the description of the event lead me to believe it would be more interactive.  We won't discuss the fact you don't even get a piece of chocolate at the end of the exhibit.  I mean seriously, why tease people with a chocolate exhibit and then not give them a little piece to nibble on?!?!  Anyway, here are some of the pics I took in the exhibit.







After the chocolate exhibit I wanted to go to the butterfly exhibit.  According to their map, it was at the far side of the property.  And a walking I went.  As you walk along the path you're winding your way through the botanical gardens.  They were nice, but not what I'm used to.  I mean, I am living in a desert now compared to N.E. Ohio where things are a lush green with lots of vibrant color in the spring and summer.  Tulips?  Where are my tulips?  Certainly not here!  And even if they were, they would have probably bloomed 1-2 months ago.  Also along the path, were several metal butterflies painted differently.  Here are some pics of just a few of them along with the sign that describes them.




Once I wandered the path, down stairs, up stairs, around buildings, etc. I made it to the butterfly exhibit.  It was the smallest one I've been too.  Certainly smaller than the Corbin Conservatory at Stan Hywet that I've been to many times.  They were allowing 45 people in the exhibit at a time, which made it very crowded and hard to move around, as the walkway was narrow and went in a u-shape.  It also made it hard to get photos of the beautiful creatures flying about.  I took a couple, but they're nothing to write home about.



Once I was able to get out of the exhibit, I wandered through the gardens back toward the exit.  The cacti were really neat, and there were a few other sites to see.  I'd love to have one of those huge tall cacti with the arms to decorate at Christmas with lights.  I know, I'm strange.




My entire time within the preserve was about 1 hour.  It wasn't a bad trip, but I think I had myself psyched up for something more exciting.  And unless there is some fantastic exhibit in the future, it's not really something I feel the need to spend money to get into again.  No worries, there are TONS more adventures I can have in my new town & state.  

Until we meet again...Happy Stitching!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment