Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Two Blessings Lupus Awareness & Fundraiser Cross Stitch Pattern

My "Two Blessings" design has been out for about 1 year now.  I never did a blog post about it when I released it, but there is a special meaning behind it.



When I originally designed the piece, it was to help raise funds for the Greater Ohio Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America.  I was taking a portion of the profit from the sale of each pattern (and we all know profits are not large) and donating on my sister's behalf.  She's been battling Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) for a couple of years now.  If you're not familiar with it SLE it is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. It can affect the skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs. 

Many people associate the "butterfly rash" with lupus, which is why I chose a butterfly for the piece.  Also, the colors for lupus awareness are purple and green.  As far as the quote, well, I figured since my sister is the one dealing with this disease on a daily basis, I'd let her pick it out.

In 2013 I did the Walk to End Lu?us Now with her.  Unfortunately last year it was the same weekend as my stitching retreat.  I was going to cancel the retreat so I could go with her again, but she wouldn't hear of it.  Instead I still did my fundraising and was a "virtual walker".  Well here it is 2015, and I'm now 2,200 miles away from my sister and the rest of my family.  There's no question of the fact I will continue to support her, even though I won't be there to walk with her in person.

I've registered again this year as a virtual walker.  On the morning of September 26th I will be up and walking (probably on the treadmill at my apartment complex) while my sister is walking in OH.  And I've even put it on my calendar so I can't double book it with a stitching retreat, or anything else, like I did in 2014.

If you're interested in helping, you can do it in one of two ways:
1.)  Purchase the pattern from any of these retailers between now and September 15th, and I'll donate $1.00 of my profit to the organization. Or,

2.)  Make a donation direct to the organization via their website.  You can go here to the Living La Vida Lupie Team and look for my name (Kelly) on the team members and make your donation.

If you want to make a donation on the website, please be sure to do it under my page, as the donors just might be entered into a giveaway I'll be having *wink, wink* after September 15th.

Thanks for all your support and Happy Stitching!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kelly!! This blog post just brought me to tears. You're love and support means so much to me! Love and miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete