Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Corn Salsa with Chili Lime Vinaigrette

I know I normally combine posts to include both some needlework updates and my healthy recipe of the week, but this week I'm doing them separately so I can post this one directly on Pinterest.

I didn't experiment with anything new this week.  I have too much going on, as well as preparing to move houses next month.  And for any of you that have done that, I'm sure you know it means cleaning out the pantry, fridge & freezer.  I decided this week to stick with one of my faves for the past few years...Corn Salsa with Chili Lime Vinaigrette.



I first came across this when I bought a small container of out from a deli.  It was fantastic...but expensive!  I decided I could make it myself cheaper and probably healthier.  The recipe itself is pretty simple.

2 cans sweet corn - drained & rinsed
1 can beans (I typically use kidney or black beans) - drained & rinsed
Orange or Green Pepper (or both!) for color
Red or Green Onions
Celery

When it comes to salsas and salads, I don't stress over correct measurements on the vegetables.  I figure you can't go wrong.  If I'm using 2 colors of peppers I put in 1/2 pepper each.  If it's one color, use the entire sweet pepper.  Celery is usually 2 stalks.  I put in about 1/2 cup of onions, regardless of kind.

Before making this recipe, I had never made any type of vinaigrette before, so off to the internet I went to see if I could find one.  And I did on SparkPeople.   I've changed the recipe slightly to use products I like better.  Below is my version:

2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 c. olive oil (choose what YOU like, full-flavored or light)
3 tbsp white vinegar (I've also used apple cider vinegar)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp chili powder (make sure it's good quality)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)

Fair warning, this IS a spicy dressing, and with most things spicy, it will taste more so the 2nd day than the 1st, so you might want to use the cayenne sparingly on your first attempt.

Simply mix all the dressing ingredients in a jar or cruet and shake well, then pour over salsa and let sit for 30+ minutes prior to serving.

I've used this salsa over/with many other foods:  canned tuna, turkey burgers, shredded chicken, or mix with some shredded greens for a great salad.  Either way, don't be afraid to experiment and make it your own.

I hope you enjoy this, and feel free to leave any comments below!  Happy HEALTHY eating!



P.S.  I have been trying really hard at eating healthy, drinking more water and exercising more to not only lose the rest of the weight I want to, but to live a healthier lifestyle.  This pic is just some of the healthy food I picked up at the grocery store tonight for meals this week.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment