Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tips & Techniques - Working with Metallic Threads

I love working with metallic threads in my needlework projects.   They can add that little punch a project needs or be the entire project itself. If you've never worked with them, it can be intimidating.  I've found there are a couple of important tips when working with metallics.
  1. You want to make sure you're working with a good quality thread.  The thinner (and usually cheaper) threads tend to fray and break easier.  I personally prefer Kreinik threads.  They cost a little more than some other brands, but I find it's well worth it.
  2. Using a medium like beeswax or Thread Heaven works well in "lubricating" the thread so it will slide through the needle and the fabric smoothly.  Again, my personal preference is beeswax, but only because I've never tried Thread Heaven.  The beeswax will typically come in a package like this and is available at your LNS (local needlework shop) or you can buy them online at sites such as 123stitch.com  If you're using the beeswax all you have to do is run your strand of thread over the wax prior to threading your needle.

Just remember, it's like any other technique or medium you use.  The more you use it, the more you'll get used to it, and never be afraid to try something new.

Before I leave you for today, I thought I'd share a piece I stitched entirely in metallics.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment